Bigger, deeper and better than anything before, the new Albert Dock is carved out of unused east London marshland. It joins the Victoria Dock, built in 1855, and both are able to accommodate the new iron clad steamships bringing goods into the capital.
The King George V Dock is opened and the trio of docks gets a Royal addition to its name. Cargo ships from all over the world, and huge passenger liners, including the 35,655 ton SS Mauretania, berth here.
Emerging from World War II bombing bloodied but unbowed, the Royal Docks enter a heyday of prosperity. The arrival of container ships sadly signals the start of their demise, and the last ship leaves in 1981.
The formation of the London Docklands Development Corporation brings hope of new life for Docklands. It gradually becomes a place for business and living, connected by the DLR to London’s transport network. Canary Wharf and London City Airport are established.
Work starts on the building of Royal Albert Wharf, as part of the broader regeneration of the Royal Docks, one of London’s most talked about redevelopment projects.
By this date, almost all of the old dock buildings and land will be completely transformed, making Royal Albert Wharf an exciting new destination for living, work and play.